transformation from fino to amontillado, but is not aged long enough to complete the change.
Amontillado del Puerto is an amontillado made in El Puerto de Santa María.
Medium Sherry is a sweetened amontillado.
Amontillado can be served as an apéritif with olives, almonds, or cheese, or served with food such as chicken or rabbit. Classically it was served with a fine soup, like a beef consomme. It is usually served slightly chilled.
Due to its oxidative aging, amontillado is more stable than fino and may be stored for a few years before opening. After opening, it can be kept, corked and refrigerated, for up to two weeks.
- Gonzalez Byass "Del Duque" Amontillado
- Lustau Rare "Escuadrilla" Amontillado
In popular culture
- Amontillado is almost solely known outside of wine circles for its use in the title of Edgar Allan Poe's short story, The Cask of Amontillado.
- Amontillado is featured to great effect in Isak Dinesen's Babette's Feast.
- It is also the drink of choice of fictional aerospace mogul Dan Randolph in Ben Bova's Grand Tour novel series.